September 26, 2019
The Georgetown Center for Retirement Initiatives (CRI) hosted a one-hour webinar exploring how different lifetime income solutions can help retirees meet their retirement income needs.
The CRI recently partnered with Willis Towers Watson to study potential solutions for generating retirement income in defined contribution plans. The results clearly show how some of the available types of lifetime income options balance priorities differently and can be used, alone or in combination, to meet individual retiree needs. It examines several options to determine how well retirees, or those thinking about retirement, can achieve objectives for retirement income, including stability, maximization, longevity protection, growth potential, asset preservation, cost, and liquidity.
The presenters discussed the growing demand for lifetime income solutions, the need for plan sponsors to begin to integrate these solutions into retirement plans, and what policymakers can do to help address legal concerns and encourage greater adoption.
- David O’Meara, Director, Willis Towers Watson
- Diana Winalski, Head of 401(k) Product Management, International Paper
- Martin Noven, Executive Director, State Universities Retirement System (SURS) of Illinois
- Kevin Walsh, Principal, Groom Law Group
- Angela M. Antonelli, Research Professor and Executive Director, Center for Retirement Initiatives, Georgetown University’s McCourt School of Public Policy